Friends of St James’
Friends of St.James, Little Clacton
Registered Charity No. 1074454
The Friends are a group of people dedicated to helping this beautiful Church retain its tradition and provide a quiet place where we can stop and spend a few moments with our thoughts in this fast moving world we live in today.
You do not have to belong to any Church or denomination, or live locally to become a member of the Friends.
The Friends and their objectives
The Friends of St. James is a registered charity with the object of raising funds to enable this important historic building of early Norman & Mediaeval architecture to remain for future generations.
Funds raised by membership, donations and legacies will be held under the Charity Commission rules and used to restore, maintain and preserve the fabric of this Grade2* listed Church, on works that cannot be financed from the normal income of the Parochial Church Council.
The Friends through social activities and events provide an opportunity to make and renew friendships and encourage a wider interest in preserving this special building located in the heart of our village.
Come & join us we need and would appreciate your help, support & interest.
St. James History
The Chancel was built soon after 1100AD and the Nave was extended and the porch erected in the 14th century.
Over the door in the North wall hangs a fine example of the Royal Coat of Arms dated 1726. The Font, circ. 1190 is from a solid block of Purbeck marble from the hills near Corfe Castle.
In the timber clad bell tower hang three bells ranging from 1437 to 1748. The oldest by Robert Crouch is thought to be one of only thirteen bells left and the only one in Essex.
Many of the windows date from the 14th century. The memorial in the East window was put in in 1945.
On the South wall is a rare double piscina circ. 1300 where blessed wine and water was returned to the consecrated earth.
Also on display is a 12th century tomb lid.
A passage in the North wall leads to the Parish Room built in 1993.
Work already completed, aided by the Friends, was the stripping & restoring of the South, North & West walls.
The next major project is the refurbishment of the Church interior.
Click here for details on how you can join & become a Friend.
|Name & Address||Phone & Email||Position|
|Mr. Peter Watson
|Chairman / Publicity|
|Mrs Dorothy King
|Mrs Avril Black
33 Holland Road
|Mrs Hazel Smith
|Mrs Audrey Wood
338 Harwich Road
Friends of St. James
Back in 2010 a completely new committee was formed, all of whom share values about the importance of this ancient building located and being the heart of the village for many centuries.
It is difficult to imagine this ancient structure not being there but, like all of us, the older we get the more care we need and it is through the generosity of the individual members of the Friends of St. James that we are able to help with the maintenance and restoration of the fabric.
In previous years the Friends have contributed funds towards many of the maintenance and refurbishment projects that have been completed. The most recent major project was the removal of the Victorian concrete rendering to the outside walls. The primary objective being to stop the problem of damp. When exposed, the septaria stone of the South wall was so striking it was decided that it would be re-pointed and left exposed. The North wall to the Chancel was found to be part constructed in Tudor and 18th century brick but to preserve the walls they were rendered using permeable plaster.
With outside work completed the next project is the redecoration and refurbishment of the inside of the Church. This is going to be a major project and will require a magnificent effort to raise funds to start, let alone complete the work.
The committee have decided to hold fund raising events. Final details will be published here on our site, in your membership letters, in the Parish magazine and on the village notice boards.